• January 19th, 2019
Login / Register

Barman murder probe incomplete

Crime and Courts, Archived
Crime and Courts, Archived

WINDHOEK – Investigations  in which 22-year-old man Jeffrey Barman who stands accused of stabbing his girlfriend to death during the birthday party of their four-year-old daughter in November last year and of stabbing his cousin in August this year, remain incomplete. Barman made an appearance in the Katutura Magistrate's Court yesterday on the two matters – murder and attempted murder. He was informed that the investigations are incomplete and the matter was remanded to February 19, 2014. Barman who was out on bail for allegedly cutting the throat of his girlfriend allegedly also stabbed his cousin, Albertas Duncan three times – on the left ear and left shoulder in August in Katutura. The incident allegedly occurred after Duncan punched Barman on the lips. Duncan was then sent to the intensive care unit (ICU) for his injuries. In August at Barman's first appearance, the State represented by Menencia Hinda objected to Barman being granted bail, because it would not be in the public's interest, and because the victim was in the ICU, and if he died the charge would be changed to murder. Hinda also objected to bail because of the fear that Barman may re-offend. Also because the investigations were at an infant stage and several witness statements needed to be taken. The magistrate then refused him bail. Barman is in custody until his next appearance next year. Barman was granted bail of N$3000 in May for allegedly murdering his girlfriend Melanie Boys (20) in November last year in the Golgotha residential area of Katutura during the birthday party of their daughter. He allegedly cut his girlfriend's throat with a broken glass during their four-year-old daughter’s birthday celebration. Barman’s attack allegedly happened in full view of their family members and friends, who had attended the party. Barman allegedly then returned to the house and found the Windhoek City Police waiting for him and they pursued him as he attempted to run away. As the police closed on him, he jumped onto the roof of one of the houses and refused to climb down, but allegedly broke his leg after attempting to jump onto the roof of an adjacent house. The victim Boys died in the ambulance on her way to hospital. The accused was out on bail when he allegedly stabbed his cousin. Magistrate Constancia Olivier presided while Menencia Hinda represented the State. By Tunomukwathi Asino
New Era Reporter
2013-10-23 12:08:13 5 years ago

Be the first to post a comment...