• November 19th, 2018
Login / Register

Ilonga’s probe now changed to murder


WINDHOEK – The police have altered their probe into the death of Martha Ilonga from attempted murder to murder, following confirmation of her death last week. Ilonga, 20, who was allegedly shot by members of the police force over two weeks ago in Windhoek’s Goreangab area – in what appears to be a police operation gone wrong. Student nurse Ilonga died in hospital last week Wednesday. She was shot on February 12. Inspector Slogan Matheus from the police public relations department informed New Era this week: “With regards to the late Martha Ilonga, the investigations are in full swing.” The Namibia National Students’ Organisation (NANSO) leadership called for investigations into the matter during a press conference yesterday. The charge had been changed from attempted murder to murder, Matheus revealed. “We have had formal communication with the family of the deceased. Once the investigations are completed, the docket will be forwarded to the Prosecutor-General for a decision,” he said. New Era reported that the family were demanding justice and a thorough investigation into the fatal incident. The police allegedly shot Ilonga, who was studying at the Namibia Health Training Centre in Windhoek, in the head while she was seated in the backseat of a Toyota Corolla sedan. The student nurse was being driven home to Goreangab in Katutura, where she rented a room, family members related to New Era. According to the driver of the ill-fated vehicle, Titus Shuuveni, the incident occurred when he was escorting Ilonga home with his friend when the friend received a phone call from someone who wanted them to drive to where he was. “We went there immediately before dropping off Martha. While driving, my friend told me to stop, and then he went out towards a white Polo Vivo that was parked alongside the road. “My friend told me to get out and go to the Polo also,” Shuuveni informed New Era. Shuuveni said suddenly from nowhere he saw a police officer emerge and hand cuffs his friend and ordering them (Shuuveni and Ilonga) to drive off. The police had allegedly been lying in ambush in what seemed like a police trap, whereby the Polo Vivo had been used to bait his friend, according to Shuuveni. Apparently, another police officer had mistakenly assumed the Corolla was speeding away from the police. Police claim the shooting was not intentional and that the bullet that struck Ilonga in the head was aimed at the sedan’s tyre.
New Era Reporter
2015-02-27 09:31:44 3 years ago

Be the first to post a comment...