• September 25th, 2018
Login / Register

Child fights for her life after horrific rape


Windhoek The mother of a 14-year-old girl, who was found unconscious in a pool of blood over the weekend with severe head injuries, is praying that the person who committed the heinous crime against her child will be brought to book soon. A male adult found the teenage girl some time on Saturday morning where she lay bleeding in Lafrenz Industrial area. He reportedly found the child naked and with a severely swollen face. The police suspect that the child was raped and that the offender attempted to kill her by hitting her over the head with a rock. No suspect has yet been arrested. The girl-child, whose name is withheld on ethical grounds, was admitted to Katutura State Hospital over the weekend and is said to be in a critical condition. She is as yet unable to speak. The teenager was due to start Grade 1 this week at a school outside Windhoek. A letter seen by New Era stated that she has been living with her unemployed mother on a farm all these years and was not attending school. Her family said she was very excited about going to school for the first time. The headmaster at the school where she was supposed to attend said the girl showed signs that she would be able to cope in school as she could already count and write some words. Her mother, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the victim, has had difficulties sleeping or eating due to the stressful situation. She had been living with her daughter in the impoverished Okahandja Park informal settlement and the two were very close. However, the teenager’s dream of starting school was cut short on Friday at around midnight when she decided to walk home alone from another house to get a jersey, as she was feeling cold. The mother - speaking through an interpreter - said she and her daughter were visiting relatives in Okahandja Park on Friday night. At around midnight her daughter insisted on going home to fetch a jersey, as she was feeling cold. The distraught mother said she had told her daughter to wait so that they can go home together, but the teenager insisted and left. When the girl failed to return in time, the mother followed her home. “I came home but didn’t find her. I was worried and started crying,” she related. She started looking for her child, but to no avail. She continued looking for her daughter on Saturday morning, but had no success in finding the child. “At 16h00 I went to the police station to report my daughter missing and the police informed me that there was a girl found at Lafrenz – and that I should go to the hospital to go and see if it is her.” When she saw her daughter’s face on the hospital bed she became numb with shock and grief: “I didn’t expect to find her at the hospital.” The victim’s aunt, who lives elsewhere, said the mother is struggling to survive, as she is unemployed. “It is painful for everyone in the family. The mother is not sleeping. She can’t eat,” the relative said. New Era was shown the rotten tomatoes, which the destitute mother picked up from an open market in Okuryangava to prepare meals for her family. She sometimes gets a little maize meal and other foodstuffs from her neighbours, which she uses to sustain her family, the relative explained. Police investigations into the crime continue. Anyone with information that can lead to the arrest of the perpetrator is advised to contact the nearest police station.
2016-01-27 09:36:03 2 years ago
Share on social media

Be the first to post a comment...