• September 25th, 2018
Login / Register

Pionierspark service station robbery probe incomplete

Special Focus, National
Special Focus, National

Investigations into the robbery of a service station in Pionierspark where the robbers got away with N$170 000 last November are incomplete. The two accused Leonard Iita Niilenge, 35, and Jesaya Haule Kamulu, 36, returned to the Windhoek Magistrate’ Court on Wenesday. Both men face charges of robbery with aggravating circumstances. One of the robbers is still on the run. Prosecutor Erastus Hatutale informed the court that the matter was on the roll for further investigations and legal aid, and that Kamulu has instructed Milton Engelbrecht, from Engelbrecht Attorneys, to represent him. Hatutale said that the investigations were not yet completed. There is a photo plan outstanding and the prosecutor informed the court that Kamulu initially refused to have swabs taken from him for DNA testing, but he was informed by the defence lawyer his client was now complying with the request to have samples taken. The matter was remanded to May 24 for further investigations and the handing in of lab results. Magistrate Celma Amadhila presided. Engelbrecht will also see prosecutor Hatutale about making a formal bail application for his client. Last month when Kamulu made his first appearance, Hatutale objected to the granting of bail for fear that Kamulu “may abscond due to the seriousness of the offence he is facing. It is not in the interest of the public and the administration of justice for the accused to be released on bail at this point in time,” the prosecutor said. Kamulu was then remanded in custody. A resident of Freedom Land’s Ombo Street, Kamulu has another case of armed robbery pending before court. Kamulu was arrested last month while Niilenge, accompanied by his lawyer, handed himself over to the police last November. At the time Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi, the head of media relations, said Niilenge, who is the owner of the vehicle used in the robbery, surrendered himself to the serious crime division. Shikwambi could not say whether Niilenge had handed over any of the stolen money. “For now I can’t confirm if he surrendered the money. Give us some time, we are busy with the investigation,” she said then.
2016-02-26 10:06:30 2 years ago
Share on social media

Be the first to post a comment...