Ongwediva Councillors from Oshikoto Region, where the horrific Casablanca accident claimed 15 lives last month, have donated N$1 200 to the sole survivor of the mini-bus, 20-year-old Mbalambala Dimbulukweni Fidelis. Fidelis was admitted to Oshakati Intermediate Hospital Intensive Care Unit (ICU) after she sustained severe neck, head and back injuries in the Oshivelo accident where a minibus and a truck collided head-on, killing 15 people instantly. She was admitted to the ICU on February 13 and spent 13 days there. Fidelis, who hails from the Okalongo Constituency is said to have been travelling from Windhoek to the north to attend an uncle’s funeral at Oshikuku, when the crash happened. Her uncle had drowned in the Calueque-Oshakati near Oshikuku of the Omusati Region. Chairperson of Oshikoto Regional Council Samuel Shivute said young Fidelis is now out of ICU and is recovering well. “She is doing well, although she cannot yet recall the events prior to the accident,” Shivute said. According to Shivute, while a mass memorial service was held for the 13 who perished in the fire, it is vital for the regional leaders to also visit the survivor. “This accident has touched the whole nation. It does not only affect the affected families. So, while there is a survivor the nation is put to task to assist the young lady to restore her life,” Shivute said. He said the money handed to the sisters by the Oshikoto councillors is intended to help meet Fedelis’ needs while she is in hospital. Shivute appealed to other Namibians to support Fedelis in whatever way possible. He further appealed to drivers to drive cautiously and adhere to the rules of the road in order to reduce the carnage on Namibia's roads and save lives.
2016-03-23 09:51:39 2 years ago