ONGWEDIVA - A 32-year-old man was admitted at the Oshakati Intermediate Hospital on Heroes’ Day after he attempted to set himself on fire.The incident happened on Thursday evening at 18h30 at Oshakati West.
Police spokesperson in the Oshana region Thomas Aiyambo said the victim allegedly poured petrol on the house and set it on fire while he was inside. The house, including all his belongings, burned down. The victim was saved by neighbours.
“Members of the public managed to rescue the victim while the fire-fighters from the Oshakati Town Council managed to come to the scene and extinguish the fire,” added Aiyambo. The victim also smashed the house’s windows with his bare hands and feet, resulting in injuries.
The police officer explained that the victim has been talking of committing suicide, and was allegedly on a drinking spree on the day of the incident. “He was spotted by neighbours drinking alcohol, and is also suspected to have been using dagga,” said Aiyambo.
No other person was injured in the fire, and police investigations continue.