New Era Newspaper

New Era Epaper
Icon Collap
Home / Ndeitunga to demand prosecution of Angolan officers

Ndeitunga to demand prosecution of Angolan officers

2021-06-28  Nuusita Ashipala

Ndeitunga to demand prosecution of Angolan officers
Top of a Page

ONGWEDIVA – Inspector general Sebastian Ndeitunga of the Namibian Police said his office will write to his counterpart in Angola to ensure the two police officers, accused of shooting a Namibian learner last month, are prosecuted in accordance with the Angolan law.

At present, it is not known to the Namibian police whether the two police officers have appeared in court yet.

“I will write to my Angolan counterpart to ensure that the police officers are properly prosecuted in accordance to their law,” said Ndeitunga. Considering the nature of the crime, Ndeitunga said it is expected that judicial processes will be followed for the two arrested officers. “This is a serious crime of murder; hence, the authority should
deal with the officers,” said Ndeitunga.

Two Angolan police officers, a 55-year-old inspector and a 29-year-old sergeant were arrested last month for shooting Johannes Shatipamba Nangolo in the head at Otilindi cucashops in Angola, which is adjacent to the Namibian border last month.

Nangolo succumbed to his injuries a few hours later at the Oshakati Intermediate Hospital, where he was transferred from Outapi. According to the latest update, the regional commander of the Omusati Police, where the report emanated from, commissioner Titus Shikongo, said the two officers have been transferred to Ondjiva.

On the night of the shooting, Nangolo and his siblings were allegedly having a party at his brothers shebeen at Otilindi location.

While at the party, police officers arrived at the shebeen and demanded it should be closed. The request to close the shebeen allegedly prompted an argument between the police officers from Okapelolona and those stationed at Otilindi.

One of the police officers allegedly left the scene and later returned with a firearm and demanded for the shebeen to close, before leaving on a motorbike. The shebeen owner allegedly heeded the call to close the shebeen and gave his car to the victim to drive some elderly women home. Before the victim could drive off, two police officers arrived at the scene and asked of everyone in the vehicle to disembark. After disembarking, one of the police officers allegedly walked to the victim and shot him in the head. 


2021-06-28  Nuusita Ashipala

Share on social media
Bottom of a page