RUNDU - New Era was reliably informed that by Monday this week seven confirmed cases of the hepatitis E virus were recorded in the Rundu district.
“Rundu district has seven confirmed cases of hepatitis E. According to World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines if a district reports five to ten cases within four to six weeks it’s declared as an outbreak,” said an impeccable health source who requested anonymity as they are not allowed to speak to the media on hepatitis E cases.
New Era had spoken to some health officials who said they are not allowed to talk to the media but said the cases are confirmed and thus the public should be informed.
Four of the cases were reported at Sauyemwa, one in Kehemu and two at Sikanduko informal settlement with no fatalities.
The ministry’s senior officials in the region are supposed to release a statement for residents to be aware and alert, but the regional health director for Kavango East Timeya Ngwira said she has to send a report to Windhoek before she can inform the media to disseminate the information.
She would however not confirm the number of cases reported so far saying she was travelling to Otjiwarongo and referred this reporter to one Dr Mburu.
“We have sent the report to Windhoek but I cannot confirm the cases because I don’t have an update now, I will inform you tomorrow after the meeting,” Mburu said.
Countrywide the hepatitis E virus has some alarming statistics with Windhoek being the most affected, and by July 30 a total of 19 deaths related to hepatitis E were recorded nationwide.
Windhoek has had 1,863 cases of hepatitis E of which 118 were laboratory confirmed. The Erongo Region had 95 confirmed cases of hepatitis E.
Omusati recorded 106 cases, 26 of which were also laboratory confirmed. The Oshana Region by the end of July recorded 16 cases of which 13 were also laboratory confirmed.
2018-08-09 09:08:08 | 1 years ago