Cornelia Kazeurua, the widow of renowned stock theft investigator Wilfred ‘Major’ Hiambepo Kazeurua, has pleaded with the judge to make sure the convicted murderers of her husband do not “…see the sun again…”. Kazeurua told Windhoek High Court Acting Judge Alred Siboleka yesterday that she and her family have suffered immensely since the death of her husband in 2012. At...

AR trashes City’s electricity tariff hike
Lahja Nashuuta The Affirmative Repositioning (AR) movement has strongly objected to the City of Windhoek’s proposed 4% increase in electricity tariffs, calling the move premature, unjustified and potentially burdensome to residents. In a formal submission to the municipal council, AR Khomas Regional Chairperson Sem David argued that the City failed to provide sufficient data or a transparent rationale to support...

Hendricks shows remorse for brother’s death
Iuze Mukube Brenton Hendricks, a 24-year-old convicted on a lesser charge of culpable homicide for the killing of his elder brother Joslin Sagaria Hendriks in 2022, last Thursday told Judge Claudia Claasen that he wished his brother could come back. Hendricks, who was convicted on 6 June 2025, took the stand during his pre-sentencing hearing. The accused was initially charged...

Alleged fraudster fit to stand trial
A woman accused of defrauding a private school in Windhoek of more than N$2.8 million is fit to stand trial. The trial of Maria Johanna Coetzee (52) was postponed to 18 August. A report compiled by a psychiatrist found that although she suffers from diminished capacity, she understands the court proceedings and is capable of mounting defence. Coetzee already pleaded...

Epukiro sand roads torment users
Zebaldt Ngaruka EPUKIRO – The recent rain that poured in the Epukiro constituency, caused heavy damage to many gravel roads used by residents. One of the sand roads badly damaged by the pouring rain is the Ouetu Atuhe – Otjombundiro road. The six kilometres (km) path is the linkage to many upper land villages in the constituency, but its current...

Government looks at harvesting rainwater
Rudolf Gaiseb The Office of the Prime Minister revealed that the government, through the ministry of agriculture, is implementing a flood and rainwater harvesting and irrigation development project. Speaking in Parliament recently, Prime Minister Elijah Ngurare said this is to ensure that during the rainy season, water is harvested and stored in these earth dams. Under this project, the construction...

Zaamwani vows stronger maritime security in the north
Lahja Nashuuta Namibia is intensifying efforts to combat illegal fishing activities along its northern maritime border with Angola, Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries, Water and Land Reform, Inge Zaamwani, has confirmed. Responding to questions in Parliament by Popular Democratic Movement (PDM) Diederik Vries, Zaamwani acknowledged the seriousness of illegal, unreported, and unregulated (IUU) fishing, which poses a significant threat to the...

Xinfeng gets greenlight for lithium exports
SWAKOPMUND – Xinfeng Investments, currently under investigation for illegal mining, has been given the green light to export 16 000 tonnes of lithium concentrate from Uis. Trucks carrying the ore were already spotted earlier this week leaving Uis for Walvis Bay, where the shipment is expected to be exported. Xinfeng’s operations were shut down in November last year after the...

Fresh sirens in Israel warn of Iran missiles
JERUSALEM – Sirens sounded in several areas of northern Israel yesterday after the army reported a fresh barrage of Iranian missiles, at least the third salvo in less than two hours. “A short while ago, sirens sounded in several areas in northern Israel following the identification of missiles launched from Iran toward the State of Israel,” a military statement said,...

Charity: Child sex abuse triples as people flee DRC
NAIROBI – Save the Children yesterday said it had witnessed a “horrifying” spike in the number of children being sexually assaulted in DR Congo, recording more than triple the number compared to a year ago. “Armed men entered our house and raped me, my sister and my mother,” a 16-year-old Congolese girl told the charity. She spoke to Save the...
