Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Otavi-Otjiwarongo road accident victims identified

Home National Otavi-Otjiwarongo road accident victims identified
Otavi-Otjiwarongo road accident victims identified

OTJIWARONGO – The nine deceased people in the head-on accident involving two vehicles, which occurred on Tuesday afternoon on the Otavi-Otjiwarongo B1 national road, have been identified by their close relatives.

Namibian Police head of community affairs in the Otjozondjupa region Maureen Mbeha in a media statement on Friday said the deceased are from the Toyota Fortuner and the seven-seater vehicle.

She said the eight people who died in the seven-seater vehicle include Eduardo Vicunga Tyimbsndi (63), who is believed to be a South African national, according to a passport that was found in his possession.

The 38-year-old Sofia Kakehere Likuva is from Rundu. 

Festus Ndakolo (29) was the driver of the seven-seater vehicle, and is a member of the Namibian Defence Force.

Reagan Mwalimu Kwala (40) worked for a commercial bank in Rundu. 

Nelson Domingo Linyunga (28), Titus Limanga Johannes (41), Anna Rangaman (13) and Hendrick Mazambo Gab, aged two years, also died in the same seven-seater vehicle.

The 55-year-old Natale Ferreira Gontijo de Amorim died in the Toyota Fortuner, and is a Brazilian national, who was in Namibia as a tourist.

The accident occurred approximately 20 kilometres south of Otavi at about 13h30 on Tuesday.

It is alleged the 59-year-old Brazilian male tourist, Luiz Charles Araujo de Sa, who was driving the Toyota Fortuner, was overtaking another vehicle when the head-on collision occurred.

Araujo de Sa from the Fortuner survived the accident.

 A three-year-old girl from the seven-seater vehicle also survived the accident, and is in critical condition at a private hospital in Windhoek, where she was transferred to from the Otjiwarongo State Hospital.

Araujo de Sa was arrested on Thursday, and appeared in the Otjiwarongo Magistrate’s Court on a culpable homicide charge, including counts of inconsiderate driving as well as reckless and negligent driving.

-Nampa