New Era Newspaper

New Era Epaper
Icon Collap
Home / New lawyer delays hammer killing trial

New lawyer delays hammer killing trial

2022-11-04  Roland Routh

New lawyer delays hammer killing trial

The plea of a Windhoek resident, accused of viciously attacking and killing his wife with a hammer, was yesterday postponed to 15 November to give his new lawyer a chance to study the docket and consult with his client.

His previous lawyer Vernon Lutibezi explained to the court he was assisting Inock Mazala Nalisa (32) on behalf of Muluti and Partners, but was later informed the matter was reassigned to Jermaine Muchali by the directorate of legal aid at Nalisa’s request. 

Muchali, however, declined the instruction, and the matter was then assigned to Tjingairi Kaurivi.

Kaurivi confirmed the instruction but informed Windhoek High Court Judge Christi Liebenberg he was only instructed recently and did not have a chance to consult with his client or received the disclosure. 

The judge agreed to remand the matter to allow him the opportunity to familiarise himself with the case and consult. 

Nalisa is expected to stand trial on a charge of murder, read with the provisions of the Domestic Violence Act, and one count of defeating or obstructing the course of justice or attempting to. 

It is alleged that after he stabbed his wife, he got rid of the weapon he used to stab her. 

The prosecution is alleging he killed his wife Petra Njakwabo Munikonzo (30) by stabbing and hitting her with a hammer at the back of her head following an argument.

The wife died instantly at the scene.

The incident occurred at the couple’s residence in Windhoek’s informal settlement of Okahandja Park on 31 October 2020.

According to the summary of substantial facts in the indictment, the accused and the victim were married with children. 

On 10 August 2020, the victim opened a case of assault against the accused, resulting in his arrest.

However, during a subsequent bail hearing, she did not object to his release on bail for the reason he has to support his children, and he was released on bail on 20 October 2020. 

On 31 October 2020, another argument erupted between them, and he stabbed her multiple times with a knife or other sharp object and hit her several times on her head and body with a hammer, causing her death. 

He then covered her body with a blanket.

Police reports stated that after the tragic incident, Nalisa fled the crime scene.

He, however, handed himself over at the Wanaheda police station two days afterwards. 

He has since been in police custody, as the State strongly opposed his release on bail, pending the finalisation of his case. 

Nalisa remains in custody at the section for trial awaiting inmates at the Windhoek Correctional Facility. 

2022-11-04  Roland Routh

Share on social media