New Era Newspaper

New Era Epaper
Icon Collap
...
Home / OPM irked by ‘selfish’ drought thieves 

OPM irked by ‘selfish’ drought thieves 

2024-05-22  Victoria Immanuel

OPM irked by ‘selfish’ drought thieves 

The Office of the Prime Minister has taken a swipe at selfish individuals suspected of having stolen drought relief food worth N$100 000. 

According to OPM executive director I-Ben Nashandi, drought relief food is meant to assist the most destitute people in society. 

Nashandi’s comments come at the
back of the recovery of suspected stolen food meant to feed drought-stricken Namibians found on a farm near Oshivelo.

His remarks also come at a time when drought has its grip firmly tight on most parts of the country. 

The government has provided N$825 million to confront the drought head-on.  

“I have not received any report yet, I just read that there is drought food stolen. I am waiting for Oshikoto Regional Council to report to us, so we issue a press release,” Nashindi said. According to the weekend crime report, the possession of suspected stolen State items incident occurred on Friday around 17h30, at Leeu Pos Farm, in the Guinas constituency of Oshikoto.

It is reported that an intelligence-led operation and a search were conducted at the suspect’s farm, leading to the discovery of suspected stolen drought relief food. 

So far, no arrests have been made, and the police investigation continues.

Meanwhile, Oshikoto chief regional officer Christella Mwenyo maintained that no drought relief food has been stolen from the region.

“I have nothing to say since we have not received any complaints of stolen drought relief in our region. I only heard that there is food found at the farm near Oshivelo,” Mwenyo said. 

Attempts to get comments from Guinas constituency councillor Martinus Elias proved futile, as text messages and phone calls went unanswered. 

More so, Oshikoto police regional commander Commissioner Teopolina Kalompo-Nashikaku confirmed the incident, but did not go into detail.

“I am running late, I will brief you after the meeting,” she said briefly.

On his part, Oshikoto regional Deputy Commissioner Mathew Nakadhilu said they were hard at work to get to the bottom of the matter. 

“The police investigation is ongoing, as soon we are done, we will inform you of what happened,” said Nakadhilu. 

Last year, Ohangwena region’s disaster risk management unit lost more than N$600 000 worth of cooking oil and other items from its warehouse due to theft. 

Just recently, drought relief food worth N$39 000 was allegedly stolen from a warehouse at Katwitwi in Kavango West.

The OPM is expected to roll out the drought relief programme and food assistance to all affected subsistence farmers in rural areas in all 14 regions, effective 01 October 2023 to June 2024.

OPM indicated that they will continue with food assistance to beneficiaries who meet the set criteria, from 1 July 2024 to 30 June 2025.

-vkaapanda@nepc.com.na


2024-05-22  Victoria Immanuel

Share on social media