Woman brutalised for planning to study in China

Home Featured Woman brutalised for planning to study in China

ONGWEDIVA – A nurse from Okahao in the Omusati Region was admitted to the Ongwediva Medipark’s intensive care unit (ICU) after she was viciously battered by her jealous boyfriend because he could reportedly not stomach her plans to study in China. The victim has a two-year-old child with the possessive boyfriend, New Era understands.

The suspect, 40-year-old Lenga Shiyagaya, appeared in the Okahao Magistrate’s Court where he was denied bail.

The suspect, who cohabits with the victim, faces charges of domestic violence, including assault and threatening his lover with a firearm.

It is alleged that the woman, who is a nurse at Okahao, was due to travel to China last month in order to study medicine.

However, the boyfriend, an employee of building material chain Kambwa Trading, refused to let her leave the country on grounds she could ditch him and get herself another man in Asia.

Sources close to the couple claim Shiyagaya is well-known for his possessiveness and has regularly assaulted his girlfriend physically. No previous case of abuse was reported to the police.

It is alleged last month, the accused attacked the victim and her female friend who was escorting her home in Okahao.

When the two arrived at the victim’s place, they found the accused waiting for her at home.

“When they got home, Shiyagaya attacked both of them but the friend managed to escape. She ran back to her room which is inside the hospital and alerted the police,” a source said.

Shiyagaya reportedly tried to shoot the lover with the pistol but failed in his bid because the bullet chamber of his gun did not have bullets.

Frustrated, Shiyagaya started kicking and beating his lover ruthlessly, seemingly with the intention of killing her.

Police eventually arrived at the scene and arrested Shiyagaya.

New Era understands the victim and her family asked that bail be granted only once the victim has left the country for China.

Shiyagaya remains in police custody and is set to return to court on November 11.

The spokesperson of Omusati regional police, Warrant Officer Lineekela Shikongo, confirmed the vicious incident.