Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Dausab bemoans legal aid challenges

Home Front Page News Dausab bemoans legal aid challenges

Justice minister Yvonne Dausab has bemoaned the reduction in the budget allocation to her ministry’s directorates of legal aid and the civil litigation, saying that the current state of affairs will force experienced prosecutors to resign due to unconducive working conditions.
From the N$481 million allocated to the ministry, about N$44 million will be allocated to the legal aid directorate – N$16 million less than last year’s allocation of N$60 million. 

“The successful prosecution of cases requires resources of all kinds, but most of all, it requires financial resources to enable the functions to be carried out by competent, motivated prosecutors who work in acceptable conditions,” Dausab said while motivating the ministry’s allocation on Wednesday. 

She said the ministry’s prosecutors resign often because of unconducive work conditions. 
“It is a high priority for us to ensure that we provide them with the tools and the skills needed to execute their functions to the best of their abilities,” she said.
Although the current structure is fully filled, Dausab said the increasing workload has confirmed that the structure is inadequate for the task at hand. 

“The increase in the number of complex transnational and financial crimes (including human trafficking) requires dedicated and experienced prosecutors, which are not often readily available in the country,” Dausab said.
The minister says the 
directorate of legal aid boasts a capacity of 65 in house lawyers, whose core function is to represent legally aided persons in all courts in Namibia. 

“While the directorate has gratefully received additional new lawyers, these are all junior legal officers, who can only appear in the district courts. We only have three legal aid lawyers doing civil work, and they are all based in Windhoek,” she said.
According to her, private legal practitioners do the bulk of criminal cases heard in the high courts, because all the new lawyers recently appointed are not yet ready to appear in the upper court. 
“That is why we have motivated for the appointment of more chief legal officers. With the lifting of the divorce moratorium, we now have more cases and in view of the small civil unit, we are compelled to make use of private legal practitioners, at a considerable cost,” she said.
“We are pleased to inform that the bulk of the cases in the district courts are given to our in house lawyers,” she added.
– ktjitemisa@nepc.com.na