Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Derailed train causes two fatalities

Home National Derailed train causes two fatalities
Derailed train causes two fatalities

TransNamib has launched an investigation into the derailment of a train on Thursday evening, some 40km outside Aus, which took the lives of two employees.

The 48-year-old train driver Freddie van Tura and his assistant 61-year-old Andreas Alute succumbed to their injuries when the manganese carrier they were on board derailed from the rail track between Aus and Lüderitz.

The locomotive was pulling 20 wagons.

“A train assistant and trainee, who were part of the crew, sustained head, leg and back injuries, but they are, however, receiving the needed medical attention,” said the company’s spokesperson, Abigail Raubenheimer. 

She said, soon after the accident, TransNamib activated an emergency response plan according to the company’s protocols.

“TransNamib deeply regrets the unfortunate incident and expressed its sincere condolences to the affected families, who are now receiving the needed support,” said Raubenheimer.

Speculations that a third staff member in that accident had also passed away have been denied by Raubenheimer and Nampol //Kharas regional commander Marius Katamila.

Towards the end of February this year, the company registered a derailment of two locomotives and one wagon about 50 kilometres outside Lüderitz. 

The train was carrying a total of 22 wagons of manganese, with only one wagon derailing, causing minor spillage of the product. 

Three employees who were on board sustained injuries. 

At the time, Raubenheimer said any derailment is an immense concern for the national rail service provider, especially in light of its current challenges in terms of capacity. 

“It delays our progress in terms of the transformation strategy,” she stated.

TransNamib is already in a challenging financial position due to its short-term cash flow position and limited rolling stock capacity.

– sklukowski@nepc.com.na