Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Blouwes chieftaincy remains unresolved

Home National Blouwes chieftaincy remains unresolved
Blouwes chieftaincy remains unresolved

The Windhoek High Court has dismissed the application by the Blouwes Traditional Authority for an order to compel rural development minister Erastus Uutoni to consider Johannes Koopman as their chief.

Judge Eileen Rakow said the relief sought by the BTA is unattainable as it would be impossible for the court to grant an order against the minister by instructing him to make a decision on the application to designate Koopman as a traditional chief.

According to Rakow, the minister’s decision to declare that there is a leadership dispute and for it to be resolved, and that elections need to be held to determine the next traditional chief of the community, still stands.

In court papers filed on Tuesday, Uutoni said the ministry has already considered Koopman’s application, and declined it in 2015 after investigations indicated that there was uncertainty over how BTA customary laws on succession operate.

He said the only possible solution was to hold elections, where Koopman and his contender David Gertze would compete to succeed the late chief Hans Titus, who died in 2009. However, the elections never took place on 19 July 2016 as planned after a majority boycotted the event.

The BTA, alongside chairman Johannes Baardman, amended their request to the court for it to now direct Uutoni to consider Koopman’s application within 30 days.

Initially, the BTA wanted the court to order Uutoni to set aside the declaration of there being a chieftaincy dispute within the traditional authority, and to consider Koopman as chief. 

The BTA claims Uutoni unlawfully failed to properly consider Koopman’s application for chieftaincy.

Sophia Shaningwa, who in 2016 was the minister of Urban and Rural Development, says the succession dispute has been ongoing since 2009 between the BTA clans, //Haboben and !Kharo-!Oan.

She said there is no report on the succession history nor customary law regarding the designation of a chief of the Blouwes traditional community.

The community predominantly live in the Blouwes village and surrounding areas. Blouwes is a settlement of about 300 people in the//Kharas region, about 48 kilometres north-east of Keetmanshoop.

– mamakali@nepc.com.na