Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Fishing consortium cancels controversial quota bidding

Home National Fishing consortium cancels controversial quota bidding

WALVIS BAY – The four fishing companies that formed a consortium to try and sell their horse mackerel quota has cancelled their bidding process following a strongly-worded letter by Minister of Fisheries and Marine Resources Bernhard Esau last week.

The four, Epango Fishing (Pty) Ltd, Mack Fishing (Pty) Ltd, Sinco Fishing (Pty) Ltd and Yukor Fishing (Pty) Ltd formed the consortium in a bid to sell off a chunk of their allocated quota for about N$43 million. However they told New Era that they have halted the process as they do not want to put anyone in jeopardy as Esau’s letter  clearly states that anyone buying or selling quotas will have their rights and fishing licences revoked. The letter, seen by New Era, was sent to the Confederation of the Namibian Fishing Associations chairperson Matti Amukwa for distribution among the industry. The consortium was trying to sell at least 12 357 metric tons of horse mackerel to the highest bidder and had the industry in a frenzy as quota selling is illegal in the fishing sector. Their action also resulted in an investigation being launched by the Namibian Competition Commission (NaCC) to determine the legality of the offer. Mino Gariseb, who spoke on behalf of the consortium yesterday, told New Era that they have stopped the whole process following the letter of the minister.   

He indicated that they also had been summoned to see Esau on Tuesday this week with regard to the issue.
Gariseb earlier also told New Era that the consortium was set up so that they can combine resources and form a 100 percent Namibian-owned fishing business that will actively explore participating in the complete value chain. According to Gariseb many Namibian quota holders do not intend to sell their quota, as this is illegal, but intended to enter into cost-effective catch agreements beneficial to both parties as allowed by the ministry. Easu’s letter states that anyone found to be buying or selling quotas will have such quotas and fishing licences immediately revoked by the ministry.

“I reiterate that a fishing quota may only be shared between right holders and another entity where joined capacity is being developed to exercise a fishing right,” he said.
“Selling of quotas goes against the government objective of empowerment, an inclusivity in the fishing industry.”