New Era Newspaper

New Era Epaper
Icon Collap
...
Home / Man buys new Jeep with fake documents

Man buys new Jeep with fake documents

2021-10-26  Roland Routh

Man buys new Jeep with fake documents
Top of a Page

Roland Routh

The police have arrested a 33-year-old man who allegedly submitted fraudulent documents to purchase a luxury vehicle from a Windhoek dealership.

The accused made his first appearance yesterday in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court days after taking a joyride to the coast in the brand-new Jeep Cherokee. Terence Kabala was not asked to plead to a charge of theft under false pretence by magistrate Celma Amadhila after she put the charges to him.

It is alleged by the State Kabala gave out and pretend to M&Z Motors that he deposited N$585 674 into their bank account at Standard Bank and drove away with a brand-new Jeep. He presented the dealership with all the necessary documentation on Wednesday last week and managed to convince the dealership that everything is above board before the car was released into his hands.

He then allegedly drove to Swakopmund to attend a wedding and was arrested on Saturday after the police received a tip-off of his whereabouts. The dealership confirmed with the bank the next day that no such deposit was made, and they opened a case with the police.  This is allegedly the third time Kabala has committed such an offence and on the previous occasion, he allegedly used his brother’s payslip and a letter from the bank. Amadhila informed the accused that he has the right to legal representation, either on his own accord or through legal aid.

He has opted to apply for legal aid. Public prosecutor Adrie Jo-Anne Hendricks objected to bail, saying the charge is a serious one, investigations are still at a premature stage and fear that Kabala will interfere with investigations if granted bail. She also said it will not be in the interest of the public and the administration of justice if the accused is released on bail.

Amadhila informed him that he has the right to bring a formal bail application in due course, where he can state the reasons why he is a candidate for bail. Hendricks asked the court to postpone the matter to 19 January next year, as investigations are not finalised.

She said there is still four witness statements and video footage outstanding as well as bank statements of the accused and a confirmatory affidavit from the Business and Intellectual Property Authority (Bipa). Amadhila then warned the accused to apply for legal aid sooner rather than later as it will be in his best interest to be represented by a lawyer.

-rrouth@nepc.com.na


2021-10-26  Roland Routh

Share on social media
Bottom of a page