Despite the police launching a manhunt for trial-awaiting former magistrate Walter ‘Rooies’ Mostert, who escaped from custody on Friday afternoon following a court appearance, the accused is still at large, Khomas regional commander commissioner Ismael Basson confirmed.
Basson told New Era yesterday that although Mostert is still at large, he will be arrested very soon. “As long as he is alive, he will be arrested no matter what. He is not yet arrested but he will be arrested because the officers are hard at work in pursuing him,” he stated adamantly.
The 62-year-old reportedly vanished after having been dropped off at the Auas Hills hospital in Auasblick. Mostert was being kept at the hospital, where he has been receiving medical attention, under police guard.
The accused has been in custody awaiting trial for fraud after allegedly assisting a South African family to obtain Namibian citizenship, in exchange for money.
Basson explained the accused was dropped off at the hospital on Friday at around 16h00 by a police inspector, who had earlier picked him up from court. “In the process, I think the police officer who picked up the accused failed to communicate to the officer at the hospital.
“He allegedly dropped off the accused to go to his room at the hospital and left. When the other officer was alerted that the suspect was dropped off at the hospital, he rushed there but did not find him,” he said. By yesterday afternoon, police were still searching for Mostert, especially at the borders to ensure he does not skip the country. “We visited his residence, searched everywhere at the hospital and asked the people around, including the hospital staff, but nobody has seen him. Therefore, the search will continue until the suspect is arrested,” he vowed.
Police insiders told New Era Mostert was only seen at the hospital at around 10h00 and never seen again for the rest of the day.