WALVIS BAY - The South African government is in the process of disposing of eight dilapidated houses they own in Namibia.
This was confirmed by the spokesperson of the ministry of international relations Lunga Ngqengelele on Friday to New Era.
These houses remained the property of the South African government after Namibia’s independence as well as Walvis Bay’s reintegration in Namibia.
However, South Africans who were occupying the houses left after the reintegration of Walvis Bay.
The houses were supposed to be maintained by the ministry especially those in Walvis Bay, but remained unoccupied for decades. As a result, the houses were stripped of all valuable items like copper wires, windows and doors and also become a haven for criminals.
However, Ngqengelele on Friday told New Era that they are in the process of selling the houses.
He added that the ministry already advertised in November last year for interested bidders to bid on the houses.
“The advert was placed in November and the closing date was 22 December. We are currently evaluating the bids which will be followed by the bids adjudication process,” Ngqengelele explained.
Walvis Bay mayor Trevino Forbes earlier expressed his concern over the state of the houses, saying that they in the past also consulted with the embassy to find a solution for the houses after homeowners complained about the fact that the houses are used for criminal activity.
The South African Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on International Relations and Cooperation also visited the houses in April last year and expressed their concern.
Politicians said the houses are a source of diplomatic embarrassment and have damaged the country’s image.