New Era Newspaper

New Era Epaper
Icon Collap
...
Home / Three killed in Okombahe shack fire

Three killed in Okombahe shack fire

2021-11-09  Eveline de Klerk

Three killed in Okombahe shack fire
Top of a Page

WALVIS BAY – A devastating shack fire claimed the lives of a woman and her two grandchildren on Friday evening in Okombahe in the Erongo region.

Police inspector Ileni Shapumba said it is unclear how the fire started but that the grandmother, Theresia Tsamases (88), Bernard Kaniseb (3) and Prince Nadile, (eight months) were trapped in the corrugated iron sheet home when the fire broke out around 23h50.

“Their neighbours tried to rescue the victims but they could not manage, as the fire was too strong – and sadly, all the victims were burned to death in the fire. Their properties, including the house, were also destroyed by the fire,” Shapumba said.

The families of the victims have been notified.

Residents of Okombahe over the weekend expressed their concern over the fact that no water was available to extinguish the fire.

“We did not have water, since a pipe broke about three months ago. We have been waiting on the Erongo Regional Council to repair the pipe. Sadly, our worst fears became true before the pipe could have been replaced,” one of the residents said yesterday.

The councillor of the Daures constituency, Kennedy !Haoseb, could not be reached for comment.

- edeklerk@nepc.com.na


2021-11-09  Eveline de Klerk

Share on social media
Bottom of a page