Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Sentenced for manslaughter

Home Featured Sentenced for manslaughter

WINDHOEK – The man who killed a pedestrian in a hit-and-run four years ago was last week handed a two-year suspended jail sentence and a N$16 000 fine.

The 27-year-old Riaan de Wet Vermeulen was convicted of bumping and killing 27-year-old Michael Ellinger and riding away from the crime scene more than four years ago in Windhoek, in an accident that made headlines in local papers.

Ellinger was killed on February 7 2010 while walking to the house where he was staying in Moses Tjitendero Street. At the time Ellinger, who was well known in inline hockey circles, was on a visit to Windhoek from Swakopmund.

De Wet Vermeulen was arrested and charged with culpable homicide, alternatively reckless or negligent driving, alternatively inconsiderate driving.

De Wet Vermeulen testified in mitigation before sentence on Wednesday that while driving he heard a knock.

He said he was sorry for his actions and had no more tears to cry. “I feel sorry for the family of the deceased,” he added. “I can only say I am really, really sorry  … I was the cause of that man’s death,” he said.

His defence lawyer pleaded that his client not be given direct imprisonment.

However, State prosecutor Hans Thourob informed the court that culpable homicide was one of those crimes regarded as serious. “The sentence should not be too light or severe. The deceased would have been alive if he was assisted immediately,” Thourob said, adding that De Wet Vermeulen let a day and a half go by before reporting the incident. Magistrate Helvi Shilemba imposed the suspended jail sentence and the fine.

By Tunomukwathi Asino