Swakopmund man saves woman from burning shack

Home National Swakopmund man saves woman from burning shack
Swakopmund man saves woman from burning shack

WALVIS BAY  – A Swakopmund resident was hailed a hero after he saved a young woman from a burning shack on Wednesday.

 The man, identified as Frans Petrus, risked his life by entering a burning shack to rescue Hilma Angala, who fainted in the shack while trying to retrieve some of her belongings.

 The incident occurred between 20h00 and 21h00 in Masilo street in Mondesa, according to the Namibian police.

 Erongo Police spokesperson Ileni Shapumba Thursday said Angala went back to her shack to save some of her belongings but inhaled too much smoke, and fainted.

 According to him, Petrus arrived at the fire scene, where he heard people making reference to Angala, who never came out of the

 “He then decided to break one of the windows, entered the shack and found her on the floor. He risked his life and brought her to safety,” Shapumba said.

 Petrus, during his heroic deed, sustained minor cuts on his right arm from broken glass.

 According to Shapumba, at least six shacks burnt down but no loss of life was reported.

 “We commend Petrus for his bravery and for risking his life to rescue a fellow citizen. Our principled wish is for him to remain strong forever and always act in defence of law and morality in our community,” Shapumba said.

 Narrating her ordeal yesterday, Angala said she was sleeping when the fire broke out.

 “People’s screams woke me up, but I didn’t know what was happening. I only saw the fire when I went outside to see what’s happening,” a traumatised Angala said.

 According to her, she, in that moment, decided to go back inside to retrieve some of her belongings.

 “However, the smoke was too much, and I fainted. I could have died inside – but thanks to Petrus, who was brave enough to risk his life for me,” Angala said.

 She, however, lost all her belongings to the fire.

 Angala, Petrus and Alfeus Hambunga, who also assisted during the fire,

were treated for smoke inhalation on Wednesday. 

  Petrus could not be reached for comment.