Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Walvis Bay councillors sent home

Walvis Bay councillors sent home

WALVIS BAY – The Walvis Bay council has suspended three of its councillors, following a special council meeting held on Thursday as per the standing rules of order, for a period of one month.

This was announced by the town’s mayor and chairperson of the council, Trevino Forbes, at a media briefing on Friday.

The three councillors, who are all members of the Swapo Party are Ephraim Shozi, Albertina Nkoshi and Paulus Kauhondamwa.

Forbes said the three councillors have been suspended for contravening the local authority standing rule number 41, as well as the code of
conduct.

“As you might have all seen, there was a council meeting which was deeply disruptive, and some words were also exchanged.

So, two councillors were charged for contravening the standing rules of order, and the other one for contravening the standing rules of order, and also for breaking the code of conduct for councillors,” he revealed.

He added that the council, as per the standing rules of order, has the full duty to suspend councillors for no longer than one month.

Forbes added that despite multiple efforts to try and restore unity among the councillors, with visits to both the Regional Governor as well as the line ministry, these efforts proved futile.

He noted that the council will continue to operate under the standing rules of order and the code of conduct.

Meanwhile, Swapo Coordinator in the Erongo region, Daniel Muhuura condemned the action, adding that the party does not take it lightly and will take the necessary action against the council.

“These are Swapo councillors on a ticket of [the] Swapo Party. They were not deployed by IPC, and so if there is any misconduct of our party councillors, it is the party that needs to call them to order or discipline them.

Where do they get the authority or the power to suspend the councillors, who were not deployed by them? So, it is something that we do not take lightly, and we are going to challenge it,” he said.
-Nampa