Booys trial moved to regional court

Home National Booys trial moved to regional court
Booys trial moved to regional court

OKAHANDJA – The prosecutor general has decided to arraign former National Council member Steve Biko Booys, who is accused of sexually violating his biological daughter, in the Windhoek Regional Court on one count of rape alternatively incest.

Okahandja public prosecutor Hilma Mwata told magistrate Auguste Simon yesterday that the PG has decided to have the trial held in regional court three at the Katutura Magistrate’s Court. 

Booys is set to make his first appearance on 25 October.

He is in custody at the Windhoek Correctional Facility’s section for trial-awaiting inmates after he abandoned his appeal in the High Court against the ruling of magistrate Khaepriums Swartz on 13 April 2021 against his release on bail.

Swartz refused to grant Booys bail, citing a strong prima facie case, that it was not in the public interest nor administration of justice – and there is likelihood of him interfering with investigations and State witnesses.

He will be represented by Jermaine Muchali, and it is not clear who the prosecutor in the main trial will be.

Booys, who is facing rape charges, is denying accusations that he sexually violated his daughter on two occasions in January.  

Booys has been in police custody since his arrest on 2 February. 

The State is alleging he raped the 20-year-old woman at his home in Okahandja between 16 to 17 January.

It is also alleged the complainant was raped while she was affected by sleep, intoxicating liquor or a substance that mentally incapacitated her. 

During the bail hearing, Booys told the court the complainant was at his house on the two days in question. 

He said there were drinks at his house but denied he provided alcohol to the woman. 

Although Booys denied any contact with the victim, the State claimed it has evidence in the form of cell phone records and copies of messages that show Booys repeatedly contacted the complainant from 18 January to 2 February. 

The prosecution further claims the cell phone messages exchanged between him and his alleged victim showed the contact between them was specifically about the allegations of rape made against him.