Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Mulunga saga damages Namcor brand – Jooste

Home Front Page News Mulunga saga damages Namcor brand – Jooste

Kuzeeko Tjitemisa

Windhoek-The Minister of Public Enterprises Leon Jooste says the National Petroleum Company (Namcor)’s suspended managing director, Immanuel Mulunga, could have been investigated without putting him on special leave, as this action has caused irreparable damage to the Namcor brand.

Speaking to New Era yesterday, Jooste said he finds it troubling that the damage to the integrity of the Namcor brand did not enjoy consideration in taking this decision.

“Namcor is an international brand and every ounce of negative publicity tarnishes the brand. Having said that, I remain firm that no form of corruption should ever be condoned and should always be investigated, but one would want to do this without unnecessary noise,” he said.

His remarks follow the decision by the Namcor board on Monday to put Mulunga and Namcor IT executive, Bonifatuis Konjore, on special leave pending an investigation into a suspect tender by the company. Namcor board chairperson, Patrick Kauta, on Monday announced at a press conference that the two were placed on special leave until January 20, paving the way for a forensic investigation into a suspect N$2.2 million tender.

Kauta refused to label the move a suspension, saying that if a person took leave then that means the leave is voluntary. But yesterday Jooste said he sees very little difference between special leave and suspension.
“I remain convinced that the desired effect could equally have been achieved without putting the MD on special leave. If the issues were investigated with him in office and he was found to interfere, it would definitely have warranted further displinary measures,” said Jooste. “Semantics do not alter motive. In law people talk about the ‘spirit of the law’ and I think it’s very clear what the ‘spirit of the directive’ to stop this phenomenon of suspensions in SOE’s is intended for,” he added.

Recent media reports suggested that Mines and Energy Minister Obeth Kandjoze had been pushing for Mulunga’s suspension, following allegations of conflict of interest and potential nepotism in awarding tenders at the company.

Mulunga on Monday maintained he has done nothing wrong despite being placed on special leave. He told New Era on Monday that he welcomes the investigation by auditing firm Deloitte and he hopes that the investigation will clear his name.

The Namibian on Monday quoted Mulunga saying there was a conspiracy to get rid of him, assisted by some insiders in Namcor, where Kandjoze himself was a managing director.