Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

State wants imprisonment for man acquitted on rape

Home National State wants imprisonment for man acquitted on rape
State wants imprisonment for man acquitted on rape

State advocate Palmer Khumalo on Friday asked Windhoek High Court Judge Dinnah Usiku to sentence a man she acquitted on charges of kidnapping and rape, but convicted on a lesser charge of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm to a term of imprisonment. 

Herman de Klerk (36) has already spent more than four years in custody pending his trial.

De Klerk was prosecuted on a charge of kidnapping, three counts of rape, a count of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and a charge of assault by threat.

Except for the count of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, Judge Usiku acquitted him on all charges.

Khumalo, however, said that although the accused spent all this time in pre-trial detention, he was not punished for the crime he was convicted of and must be punished accordingly. Although he did suggest a further term of imprisonment, he did not specify the period.

The State alleged that De Klerk kidnapped his former girlfriend at Henties Bay during the evening of 1 June 2018 by threatening her with a knife and forcing her to accompany him away from the house of a neighbour, where he had found her.

The judge, however, found that there was not enough corroborated evidence to sustain the charges except for the assault GBH charge and acquitted him accordingly. She said that the complainant was a single witness whose evidence had to be treated with caution. Furthermore, the judge said, she was not convinced that the complainant told the truth when she testified. 

Joseph Andreas, who acted on behalf of De Klerk on instructions of Legal Aid, asked the court to impose a wholly suspended sentence on De Klerk. He argued that the time he already spent in custody is punishment enough for the crime he was convicted of. Andreas pleaded with the court to free his client and allow him to be reunited with his family. De Klerk has been in custody since his arrest a few days after the incident. Judge Usiku indicated that she will deliver the sentence on 25 November at 10h00. De Klerk, in the meantime, remains in custody.

-rrouth@nepc.com.na