Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Two-year-old boy dies after struck by car

Home International Two-year-old boy dies after struck by car

Windhoek

A two-year-old boy from Mix settlement who was struck by a car died in the Lady Pohamba Private Hospital on Saturday afternoon. The incident happened at Mix settlement, situated 20 km north of Windhoek, at 14h00 when the boy tried to cross the road but was unfortunately hit by the vehicle. According to the mother, Elizabeth Moses, 26, her boy, Immanuel Mekondjo, sustained head injuries that left a hole in his head. “I am saddened by his sudden death. I am just saying he should rest in peace,” Moses told New Era yesterday afternoon. The mother said her last-born would have been three years on June 10. Moses was not at home when the incident happened as she was visiting a friend in the settlement. She had left Mekondjo in the care of an acquaintance. The boy was playing with two other children under a tree that is near a road in the settlement.
Moses related that one of the children ran across the road to go home.
“Simultaneously the mother of this child who was inside the shack heard the noise of a speeding car and went outside to see what was happening. Just when she got outside, the second child tried crossing the road, but the woman stopped him not to because of the oncoming vehicle. For some reason no one saw Mekondjo and by the time the car stopped he was already under the car,” the mother related. The mother said that while at the hospital around 17h00 the doctors told her that they had tried their best to help Mekondjo but he unfortunately passed away.
Police spokesperson Kauna Shikwambi, during a police briefing, said the 50-year-old driver was not yet arrested. Shikwambi said circumstances surrounding the incident are being investigated by the police.
In an unrelated incident a 40-year-old man died instantly after he tripped and hit his head on a stone in Grootfontein. Shikwambi said Hinckemann Ubertho was in the company of his drinking friends but had decided to walk back home when the incident happened. The next of kin were informed and police investigations continue.
Police in Oshana region opened a case of attempted murder and arrested a 19-year-old man after he hit a man with a brick in the head. The victim died instantly. The victim is Ananias Shinyemba, aged 22. The incident happened at Oshinyadhila village. The suspect is expected to appear in the Oshakati magistrate’s court today. A 33-year-old man was shot in the leg with a pistol on Friday afternoon for unknown reasons. The suspect, 38, was arrested and the pistol confiscated. The suspect is expected to appear in the Oshakati court today.