Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Burnt man suspects released

Home National Burnt man suspects released

WINDHOEK – Two suspects assumed to be friends of a man who was left to burn along the Gammams riverbed behind Single Quarters on Sunday afternoon were released on Wednesday afternoon.   

According to Khomas Regional Police Crime Investigation Coordinator, Deputy Commissioner, Abner Agas, the police sought advise on the matter from a prosecutor who advised them to further investigate the matter before charging the two. Therefore, the suspects were released and the police is busy with investigations. 

The two suspects were picked up from their houses in Khomasdal in connection with the murder after they were allegedly seen in the company of the deceased Jaco Hendricks, 36, in the area of Single Quarters on Sunday afternoon. The deceased family said Hendricks allegedly disclosed his friend’s name to a nurse when asked who committed the heinous crime. Hendricks allegedly told the nurse that friends set him alight over drugs. His friends however, denied being in his company on Sunday.

Following the two suspects being picked up by the police from their Khomasdal homes of Monday, Police on Wednesday issued a statement stating the two were arrested and would appear in the Katutura court on Wednesday afternoon.

According to a police report issued by spokesperson, Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi this week, Hendricks naked body was found by a passer-by who was walking in the riverbed and alerted the police.  The emergency services rushed Hendricks to Katutura Hospital but unfortunately, he succumbed. The incident is suspected to have happened between 13:00 and 16:00.

The family assumed Hendricks rolled from the actual crime scene to the riverbed’s water to cool his wounds. The family said a container, whisky sachets, matches and drips of his burnt trousers were discovered at the scene. When Agas was questioned on the outcome of information on the items collected at the scene, he responded that the police cannot comment on the evidence found at the scene.