OMUTHIYA – A mother of a one-year-old boy was left traumatised to witness the demise of her son, who was choked on a marula fruit.
The incident happened on Monday at Okashana Koomanya village, Omuthiya, while the mother was preparing omagongo (marula juice), a much-desired traditional beverage.
“The marula fruit got stuck in the toddler’s throat while his mother was busy and he died on the spot. The deceased is Stefanus Helao,” said Oshikoto crime investigations officer Chief Inspector Paulus Endjala.
Endjala also said the police opened cases following two drowning incidents, which involves a three-year-old boy, who drowned in a well while on his way from school with other children.
“The incident happened on Monday at Omena village around 12h30. While they were walking, the deceased fell in a well and drowned. He is identified as Kandjala Johannes Frans,” said Endjala.
The other incident is of a 36-year-old man, whose body was found floating in a water pan at Onethindi village of Oniipa. His lifeless body was discovered on Sunday.
“It is alleged the deceased was spotted drinking otombo at the cuca shops the previous night. He got drunk and left, and was only discovered dead the next day,” stated Endjala.
The victim is identified as Shivute Johannes.
The next of kin have been informed.