Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Heinaste captain fined N$950 000

Home Front Page News Heinaste captain fined N$950 000

WALVIS BAY – Arngrímur Brynjólfsson, the captain of Heinaste, a factory trawler owned by Samherji, was yesterday fined N$950 000 in the Walvis Bay Magistrate’s Court for fishing in a restricted zone.
The 67-year-old pleaded guilty last week Friday before magistrate Rhivermo Williams.

However, Williams dismissed the State’s application for forfeiture of the vessel, arguing it failed to provide sufficient evidence. 

Giving her verdict during the sentencing yesterday morning, Williams told Brynjólfsson that he committed a serious offence that not only affected the country’s marine resource, but also the Namibian people.
 “The management, protection harvesting and utilisation of marine resources are imperative to the country,” Williams said.

She explained that evidence provided by the ministry’s biologist Bean Mbeurora Tjizoo on the impact of illegal fishing, especially trawling on species such as sardine pilchards and horse mackerel, shows that it is detrimental not only for the commercial value but also for the existence of such fisheries.

“Hence, harm was done as trawling does not discriminate as no fish are left uncaught. It is evident that if the restriction is not applied the fish protected within the 200-metre area of the seabed will be removed and eventually decrease fish stock and affect our economy,” Williams said.

She then found Brynjólfsson guilty on all three charges, sentencing him to pay N$950 000 or face 12 months’ imprisonment.

On the application to forfeit the Heinaste vessel used in the illegal activity, Williams said the State did not provide sufficient evidence.

“The State relied on the employment contract signed between Brynjólfsson and Saga Seafood Namibia and the director who represented Heinaste, showing a link between Saga Seafood and Heinaste. The contract of employment does not talk about the illegal use of the vessel,” she explained. 

She said there was no evidence presented that the two companies have the same shareholding or board of directors. 

“It cannot be inferred that the owners of the vessel did know that the accused would steer the vessel into a prohibited area and could prevent that. The owner of the vessel cannot be prejudiced by the actions of the accused,” Williams said.

She then ordered that the vessel and all relevant documents impounded by the police be handed back to the owners immediately.

Meanwhile, four more vessel captains also accused of illegal fishing will also plea on Monday.