Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Anti-femicide protesters threaten to sue police

Home Front Page News Anti-femicide protesters threaten to sue police

Protesters against sexual gender-based violence (SGBV) under the banner of #ShutItAllDown now plan to sue the police, alleging they were unlawfully arrested and detained on Saturday. The police arrested 24 of the protesters who are predominantly young women and four journalists on Saturday but later released them on a warning on the same day. 
The journalists were the first to be released without being charged. However, before their release, the activists were charged for contravening Section 2 of the Public Gatherings Proclamation Act, for holding a public gathering without having given notice to the police. 

They were also charged for contravening the Public and Environment Health Act, for allegedly conducting a gathering of more than 50 people and failing to or refusing to obey police instructions to disburse. 
Charges against the protesters were, however, dropped after the prosecutor general decided not to prosecute them just minutes before they were due to appear. This followed after a lengthy discussion between the prosecutor general and the activists’ legal team. 

“We welcome the decision of the prosecutor general for declining to prosecute our clients. We are now taking instructions to institute legal action against the Inspector General of the Namibian Police for unlawful arrest and detention,” said Samson Enkali, one of the lawyers representing the activists. 
The activists were arrested on Saturday during a demonstration that escalated into a riot where the police used teargas to disperse the demonstrators. In a statement, the Legal Assistance Centre (LAC) condemned the police for using excessive force against the protestors. 

“The police should only use reasonable and justified measures to avert damage to life or property. The use of tear gas against the protestors is neither reasonable not justified. In a democratic country we are permitted to raise our voices,” said LAC director Toni Hancox. 
She added that SGBV has become a scourge in the country and the government’s lack of action prompted the current protest. 

“The President and government are called upon to respond to the pain of its people and take the needed action to prevent SGBV urgently. In the meantime, let the people raise their voices without fear,” said Hancox. 
In a statement, police chief Sebastian Ndeitunga said the demonstration was unlawful. Ndeitunga claimed four journalists were amongst those that acted outside the law and obstructed law enforcers in executing their duties. 
“The police are certainly for a peaceful demonstration, but we are against an unlawful and rowdy protest that impairs the safety and security of our nation. We live in a democracy and would not entertain any manifestations which verge on the rule of the mob,” said Ndeitunga. 

The police chief urged protesters to identify group leaders who should be consulted whenever the need arises to express their disdain for gender-based violence.
– mamakali@nepc.com.na