Have you ever found you have that last bit of maize meal left in your pantry and do not know what to do with it? Well, this recipe is the answer to the burning question. It not only makes use of that last bit but with the other ingredients as well. It’s quick, easy – and nothing beats a sausage wrapped in fried batter.
• 1 ½ cups maize meal
• 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 ½ cups milk
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 10 Vienna sausages cut in half
• 10 wooden skewers or chopsticks
• 1/2 cup corn starch (for coating sausages)
• Vegetable oil (for frying)
• Add oil to a large pot. Turn heat to medium and heat oil.
• In a large bowl, add the maize meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir together, then add the beaten egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir until combined.
• Rub each hot dog lightly with a little cornstarch. Insert each skewer into a sausage.
• Holding the skewer, take one skewered sausage and dunk it into the batter, coating all of it. Slowly remove from batter and let a little excess batter drip off.
• Immediately place it into the hot oil, while still holding the stick. Turn as necessary to brown all sides. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until all sides are a deep golden brown.
• Remove from hot oil and place on paper towels to drain oil.
• Serve with your favourite dipping sauce.
Corn Dogs from Camilla