New Era Newspaper

New Era Epaper
Icon Collap
...
Home / Five alleged land grabbers remain in custody

Five alleged land grabbers remain in custody

2021-05-03  Loide Jason

Five alleged land grabbers remain in custody
Top of a Page

Loide Jason

Thirty-three adults and three minors who were arrested for obstructing a member of the police appeared in the Katutura Magistrate’s Court last week Wednesday. 

At least 28 of the suspects were released on warning, while five suspects were remanded in custody pending police investigations.

The matter of the 28 suspects was postponed to 18 June for further investigations, while the other five accused persons' case was remanded to 8 May for screening of the juvenile accused persons.

According to court documents, the accused wrongfully and unlawfully resisted or wilfully hindered or obstructed a member of the Namibian police in the performance of his/her duties.

It is further stated that the accused wilfully interfered with a member of the police by throwing stones at the police vehicle, and barring the officer from removing zinc sheets from the illegally erected structures in the Tobias Hainyeko constituency some two weeks ago.

Confirming the arrests, chief of the City Police Abraham Kanime said that the land grabbers showed up with pangas, spades and other construction tools that posed a danger to officers.

Kanime said he would not divulge more information regarding the matter since it is now a court matter. 

He, however, said that there was another large group that flocked to the office in solidarity with the suspects.

The accused were arrested because they were promoting lawlessness in the country, which cannot be tolerated, he added.

The chief of the municipal police said the land grabbers have been warned several times not to take land illegally, but they continue to do so.


2021-05-03  Loide Jason

Share on social media
Bottom of a page