New Era Newspaper

Icon Collap
...
Home / No arrests in fatal mob attack 

No arrests in fatal mob attack 

2021-03-02  Nuusita Ashipala

No arrests in fatal mob attack 
Top of a Page

No arrests have been made yet in the fatal mob attack of a suspected thief outside Oshakati last week Tuesday. 

Oshana police crime investigations coordinator Hilya Haipumbu said suspects involved in the murder of 36-year-old Shuuveni Justus Elago at Othingo are yet to be identified. 

“They have not been identified yet and we are still busy with the investigation,” said Haipumbu. The attackers, who are in the meantime not known, face a charge of murder. 

Haipumbu, however, confirmed one of the two suspects who are alleged to have been part of the burglary has been arrested. He is facing a case of housebreaking with the intent to steal and theft. 

The two allegedly fled in an unidentified vehicle on that fateful night. Elago was allegedly assaulted to death with dry and fresh palm tree branches and sticks after he was suspected of breaking into a residence. 

Elago was a resident of Omaalala. He had allegedly stolen various items of which some were recovered. The goods, which include household items, are valued at N$21 800. 

According to the police, the deceased allegedly told the attackers where the goods were hidden before he died. 

Police spokesperson in Oshana Inspector Thomas Aiyambo at the time pleaded with the community not to take the law into their own hands. He stressed that everyone’s life is protected under the constitution and as such the community should report matters to the police instead of taking the law into their own hands. 

“If a person commits an offence, the matter should be reported to the police for us to investigate and effect an arrest so that they can be taken to court for the court to pronounce itself,” said Aiyambo.

nashipala@nepc.com.na


2021-03-02  Nuusita Ashipala

Share on social media
Bottom of a page