Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

South faces blackout over N$47 million debt

Home National South faces blackout over N$47 million debt

Nuusita Ashipala

ONGWEDIVA – Some parts of the south will experience a blackout from next Wednesday after the power utility NamPower threatened to cut power supply to a number of village councils, local authority councils, government departments and customers with long outstanding accounts.

The affected include Tses, Koёs, Berseba Village Council, Aranos Town Council, Tsumis Agriculture College at Pump Kujek and San, Kalahari Proefplaas, Rudenau Nord No 6 and the Congo Namibia Trading (Kombat mine). Managing director at NamPower Kahenge Haulofu said the entities owe the power utility a combined debt of N$47 million.
The power cut will be effected as early as 07h00 on Wednesday and NamPower advised the affected institutions that provide critical services to have generators on standby.

Haulofu said the power utility is not at liberty to provide how much is owed by each entity as it is a confidential matter between the customer and NamPower.

The decision to cut power supply comes after the affected parties failed to settle their outstanding accounts despite continuous engagements by the power utility.

Haulofu said the affected customers are those who after being sent letters of demand did not attempt to contact NamPower to make arrangements to pay their debts.