Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

NAFPU’s labour case against the NFA dismissed

Home Sports NAFPU’s labour case against the NFA dismissed

Windhoek

The Office of the Labour Commissioner on Friday dismissed the case of the Namibia Football Players Union (NAFPU) against the Namibia Football Association (NFA) with regard players’ outstanding salaries and the jurisdiction of the Labour Commissioner in the matter.

Commissioner Nicolas Mouers, who presided over the arbitration case, on Friday ruled that the union’s request to engage the NFA in relation to players’ outstanding payments by their clubs was irregular and unprocedural.

Handing down the ruling, Commissioner Mouers said: “I’m not satisfied that the mere affirmation of recognition of the applicant (NAFPU) by the respondent (NFA) as the only bargaining agent in football under the respondent’s jurisdiction warrants the existence of an employer-employee relationship between the applicant and the respondent.”

He added that employee-employer relations exist only between NAFPU and the respective Namibia Premier League clubs, who the players ply their trade for.

“Based on the findings on the first preliminary issue, I thus find it irregular and unprocedural to rule a finding on the remaining two issues, namely the position of NAFPU in Namibian football and the legal standing of the national executive committee of NAFPU, as this would result in bestowing upon myself jurisdictional authority, which I do not possess. Thus the matter is accordingly dismissed.”

NFA president Frans Mbidi said that he hopes NAFPU will take heed and truly represent their members’ interest in accordance with the procedures.

“It’s unfortunate that we had to go this route with them, but today the legitimacy of their case is dismissed and we urge them to now consider the right platforms for the benefit of the players.”

NFA secretary general Barry Rukoro adds that “the matter has served as a learning curve for all of us and we hope the game will emerge stronger and united from this debacle”.

Speaking at a media briefing on Saturday, NAFPU secretary general Olsen Kahiriri said he was disappointed in the outcome of the case and despite the ruling the union would pursue other avenues to obtain relief and justice for the players.

“We feel the arbitrator did not apply his mind correctly in this case. Our case was not heard because the NFA shifted the [main issue of] case, saying they are not an employer. But we feel we have the right to take NFA to court as an exclusive bargaining agent,” he maintained.

He further revealed that the union leadership would meet in the course of the week to work out a way forward and suggested they are likely to take the case to the High Court.

NAFPU took the NFA to the Labour Court in October on various charges, including alleged ill-treatment of NAFPU by the football mother body; failure by the NFA to establish a players’ status committee, as per the international football body’s regulations on status and transfer of players and dispute resolution; as well as the apparent failure by the NFA to establish regulations that ensure contractual stability and pay, as well as due respect to mandatory national laws enshrined in FIFA regulations. – Additional info: NFA/Nampa